Thursday, January 15, 2015

Coffee Prince Review

Click the Pic for Synopsis!

Alyssa's Review

Overall: 8.5/10
Characters: 9/10
 Plot: 7/10
 Feels Factor: 9/10

I watched this one a long time ago, but the happy feels are still there, friends. This was such a great drama, and I haven't re-watched it yet, but I know I definitely will come back to it when I want a feel good story. This was the first drama I watched starring Yoon Eun Hye, and it made me an automatic fan. She was completely brilliant! As with all dramas, there's some bad, and a whole lot of GREAT. Here's my comprehensive review.

The Bad: This was another "misunderstanding" plot drama in a lot of ways. At first the tension came from her being a girl, and him thinking that she was a boy, and her having to keep the pretense up. Which was great! I loved it. But then it dragged out a little too far. The main conflict became that our main man, Gong Yoo, thought he was gay, and when he found out she was a girl GASP, was really super mad at her. What I didn't understand was why she kept hiding it. They made up some weak excuses, but in the end, the drama could have been avoided with a few well-worded sentences from her part.





This, in turn, made the middle drag just a tad, which is why plot had the lowest score. It started off really strong, and super fantastic, and then they dragged out the issues a little longer than they should have. This was also the case for the ending, which was not the most satisfying tidbit. One of my least favorite ending strategies, without giving too much away, is when they separate the couple and have them meet up again after x amount of time to have a fresh start or something. LAME. I wasn't very happy with that.

The Good: Despite all that, I still absolutely adore this drama. I will say it again: Yoon Eun Hye was a genius in this show. She brought a delightful quirk to her part. I remember having some misgivings when starting the drama because I feared she would be the kind of tomboy that insists she doesn't want to be girly, and stomps her feet when she has to look cute. This character, Go Eun Chan, not only didn't mind getting all dressed up once in a while, she actually kind of craved it. But because she's so boy-ish, she doesn't often bother. It added a nice layer to her character that I enjoyed very much.

And as a woman, Go Eun Chan had some serious chemistry with her male lead Gong Yoo, played (fabulously) by Choi Han Gyul. Maybe chemistry isn't the word...

MORE LIKE VOLCANIC REACTION

I realize this is not a volcano




These two had super hot, crazy awesome chemistry. The kisses are still some of my all time favorite, and they kept that tension alive the whole way through. So even if the plot was a teensy bit drawn out, I didn't really care. I just wanted to keep watching these two do what they were doing.




This drama was all about the characters. There were two side characters that had their own plot going on, but I didn't care about them at all. I skipped a lot of their scenes after a while. What I mean by characters is really just these two:





Daaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnggggg yo. Is it hot in here?

So what is your ahjumma friend's verdict on this one? Wait, just watch that gif up above there one more time. Take it in. Yeah, that's why you should watch this drama.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just come across your blog searching for a review to "Pinocchio" and it convinced me to give it a go. I also love the name you gave the blog itself, absolutely LOVE it! I came to Kdrama only a couple of years ago and fell in love with it (my first one was “A Korean Odyssey” and then “Goblin/Guardian”). I also liked “Coffee Prince”. My love for Kdrama comes and goes but as long as Gong Yoo exists, I’m in. I’m currently learning Korean, because why not? Trying to keep my brain in good shape.
    Thank you for the posts you wrote: it takes a lot of time to write thoughtful reviews. There’s a lot of noise out here on Kdrama, and the standards are all over the place (often, underwater), and I do appreciate yours. I can see you stopped writing a while ago. I stopped writing my own blog some years ago (occasionally thinking about retaking it, but never quite getting there, it was so much work!), so I understand.
    Have you watched anything good lately that you can recommend?
    Kind regards,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete