Thursday, January 15, 2015

Faith/The Great Doctor Review


http://mydramalist.com/3994-faith
Click the Pic for a Synopsis

Alyssa's Review

Overall: 9.5/10
Characters: 10/10
Plot: 9/10
Feels Factor: 9/10

Oh, this glorious drama. If I wasn't already in love with Lee Min Ho after Boys Over Flowers and City Hunter, this show made me absolutely smitten with the guy. This isn't a drama so much as a journey, my friends.

The Bad: I guess if I have to list off the "bad" things, I'll do it, but this is one of my all-time favorites. Just throwing that out there. So if you are easily bored, this might not be your drama. It's not slow by any means, but it keeps a pretty steady pace, and sometimes they don't make progress. I do remember getting a mite frustrated by a few circular plot points, if you will. There's a lot of going in circles with the bad guy before the happy ending.

I love adventure and fantasy (see my published works. No surprise there.) but if a believable "realistic" plot is what you're after, then this might be a disappointment. There's not a lot of realism in this time travel adventure. And there was a good bit of cheese but I like cheese. Who doesn't like cheese? Cheese is delicious.

Also--and this is why the feels factor got knocked down from a 10 to a 9--there's only one kiss. And it's not the best kiss I've ever seen in a Kdrama. Not the worst (I'm looking at you Park Shin Hye), but it wasn't as satisfying as it should have been. And for how much this couple loves each other, and how much they overcome, there should have been a lot more skinship involved, I think. So its a bit low on the skinship.


The Good: But what it lacks in skinship, it makes up for in chemistry, and romance, and just pure emotion! I'm getting giddy just thinking about it. First of all, Lee Min Ho plays a smoking hot, super fit ninja, captain of the guard, soldier guy. And he kidnaps a female doctor from the 21st century to save his queen. She's all flustered of course, and tries to run away, and so I give you this:

I mean really. Look at him.

Anyway, so that was a great start to the drama, and it just kept getting better. The plot sucked me right in, and the action combined with the chemistry between the leads made for a drama I literally could not stop watching. My kids watched so much TV that first day, I'm embarrassed with myself.

Kim Hee Sun played the female lead, Yoo Eun Soo, and did it so well, I have a hard time believing she's not actually that way in real life. Yoo Eun Soo's character managed to be appropriately bewildered by the circumstances, but level-headed enough to make some good decisions. I felt like she really cared about the people around her. She brought out the best in her stodgy, hard-to-love but impossible-to-resist soul mate, General Choi Yeong. 

And it wasn't just the leads who were enigmatic. All the side characters were just as interesting, and that's rare for me. I usually don't care about side characters, but in this case, the side plot with the King and Queen falling in love was adorable (look them up, they were a real couple in history!), and the unit of soldiers Choi Yeong commanded were just the best.




If only they had put more skinship in there, this drama would have been basically perfect to me.

I could keep singing the praises of this drama, but suffice it to say, it's a favorite. So what's my final say on Faith/The Great Doctor? If you are anything like me, you will love it. It's a must-see.




1 comment:

  1. Oh my god. I just finished watching it and the emotions will take me some time to recover from. LMH's best I feel, he just conveyed the strong, silent and conflicted soldier with heartache so well!

    ReplyDelete