Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pinocchio Review


http://mydramalist.com/11074-pinocchio
Click the Pic for Synopsis
10/10 
  _________
 
Overall: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
 Plot: 9/10
Feels Factor: 10/10
Reviewer: Alyssa


 
Yes, you are seeing that number correctly. I gave this kdrama a perfect score! I don't do that lightly, either. For me, it was the characters and the acting that really cinched the deal, but the drama as a whole was just so smoothly written and executed. I do wonder if I might be a little amped up about it because a.) it just finished and b.) I watched it every single week religiously starting from episode one. But, then again, I wouldn't have done that if I didn't enjoy it. I'll try to give you an unbiased review. (Although really, if you're reading my reviews, you probably realize that they are skewed far away from the logical side of the spectrum, and a little closer to the amygdala of my brain if you know what I'm saying.)

The Bad: Pinocchio might not be to everyone's tastes, and here's my guess as to why (because I personally can't find much fault with it.) The beginning is a bit of a slow uptake. In fact, I actually wasn't sure if I would continue with it after episode two. Then after episode three I was hooked. Also Dal Po's hair was...wow...
Don't worry he cuts it later.

Also, this drama is very (eerily) similar to I Hear Your Voice, not only because it stars Lee Jong Suk as an intelligent but poor young man with a disturbing past, but also because the pace, intensity, and "search for answers plot" feel familiar. If you did not like I Hear Your Voice, then its probable you will not find this one terribly interesting. And the writers knew it, because guess who showed up in episode 12?
Yup, that's Lawyer Cha from I Hear Your Voice! I got up from the couch and actually whooped and did a ridiculous GEEK OUT dance when I realized they had done a show cross over. He acted as lawyer for one of the main characters in Pinocchio.

Wait why is this in the bad section? Oh right, in case your heart is made of stone and you didn't like I Hear Your Voice and the charming Lawyer Cha.

One other downside might be that this plot centers around reporters instead of detectives, and they aren't exactly out to put people behind bars. It's more about reputation and honor than life and death--although there's plenty of life and death situations regardless. And the middle dragged a little bit for me when the main characters did that thing where they had to pretend they didn't love each other. Classic kdrama move. 

The Good: I'll start with the characters. The main girl, In Ha, was played by the very famous Park Shin Hye. Now, I'm not (or wasn't) a fan of Ms. Park, so I was unsure going into this drama. I mean, have you seen how she kisses? It looks like she's in pain.
But imagine my shock when Park Shin Hye not only played her role as In Ha to perfection (including realistic looking hiccups every time she lied. Props for that.), but she delivered some FABULOUSLY romantic kisses with her leading man!
Not one or two, but several kisses at that. One of the things I loved best about this drama was its ability to balance the intensity of its gripping plot with the sweet romance that we all wanted to see. They managed to focus on both without detracting from either one.

As for the plot, let me throw this out there. What if there was a plot based not on misunderstanding, lies, and near misses, but on truth, the consequences of making good decisions, and the struggle to be honest with those around you? TA DA. I give you Pinocchio. This was the opposite of the plot line that I hate the most. I detest lies and misunderstandings used as conflict. What I found incredibly intriguing was conflict that came from the main characters always choosing the right path, but having to deal with the ripples those steadfast morals caused. Fascinating, and absolutely refreshing to me.
I would love to see more heroes and heroines being honest with each other, and facing their problems head on like In Ha and Dal Po did. Right on, guys!

In the end, its all about the feels factor. For me, this drama gave me all the right emotions, and I was left satisfied and even triumphant on behalf of the characters.

My final opinion: If you're human, you've got to like this one.



1 comment:

  1. I found Pinocchio to have unique story line, compared to most of the Korean dramas I have watched previously. This revolves around a story of common man, not very rich not that poor either, which is applicable to most people. I'm a big fan of Lee Min Ho, however, after watching this I was really taken up by the acting and looks of Lee Jong-suk. He and Park Shin-hye together makes the perfect couple on screen.
    Not to forget the supporting role played by Kim Young-kwang as Seo Beom-jo. The writer doesn't seem to let his character have much weight, however, he really does his part very well. A must to see Kdrama of all time.

    ReplyDelete