Thursday, January 15, 2015

Emergency Couple Review

Click the Pic for Synopsis!
Alyssa's Review

Overall: 7/10
Characters: 8/10
Plot: 6/10
Feels Factor: 8/10

Obviously this drama didn't quite make it to my "top 20" list or anything. Maybe I'm a little harsh on it because at the time I wasn't as in the mood for this kind of storyline, but despite the "meh" score I gave it, this drama was well-written and well-executed. But just so you get all the facts, here's the bad AND the good so you can make a decision for yourself!

The Bad: Slow. This show was just...on the slower end. It started off at a pretty good pace, but especially at the end, I skipped a lot, and ended up feeling like, "Okay, blah, blah, blah they give in to their OBVIOUS feelings and happily ever after. Moving on." It lost a spark for me after like episode 10.  I think partly because I felt like some of their arguments were incredibly childish, and as a married woman myself I found myself just kind of rolling my eyes and muttering, "Seriously? That's why you two couldn't work this out?"





I just wanted to grab these (fully grown, almost doctor) adults and give them a good shake. And as far as "misunderstanding plots" go, this one was up there with the frustrating factor. I am fully aware that married people have a hard time communicating, and in fact this drama did touch on some really realistic issues, but most of it would have been solved with a good marriage counselor. Or, you know, any human relations strategies at all. In any form.

Basically, this couple is married beforehand (that's not a spoiler, I promise), and they meet up again as residents in a hospital they both just happened to start working at. Old feelings flare up, and with it old arguments. It's about them working through their issues, and interacting with the people around them at the same time.

I also kind of wish there had been a little more medical in this medical drama. 

The Good: This show was dang funny. I laughed out loud several times, and I'm pretty sure I even slapped my knee like an old timer. Choi Jin Hyuk and Song Ji Hyo had the most hilarious chemistry, and there were some times I thought it would be a total classic. I think if the show had kept going as strong as the first 10 episodes, it would have been up there. If you like love/hate relationships, I think you will really enjoy this one. It's got some quirk, some humor, some serious issues, and then some adorable romance to boot.

By far my favorite part of this series was this guy:



OH MY GLOB is that not the cutest baby you have ever seen? (Well except my kids, obviously. But you haven't seen them.) This little guy completely stole the show for me. I won't tell you who he is or what have you in case I give spoilers, but man, I just could not get over those chubby cheeks. Cute.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Choi Jin Hyuk is one of my all time favorite actors. He's the reason I watched this drama in the first place ;) So this show was worth it just to watch this adorableness:
I'll end with saying that while this drama was really fun, and had great laughs, it also touched on real issues I appreciated. Marriage is tough, and when the two people involved are not emotionally prepared to be completely selfless and open in communication, they're going to hit snags. I appreciated that we got to watch this couple grow out of their insecurities and initial problems, and learn how to love one another again. Oh the feels!

So what does this Ahjumma say as a verdict? If you are in the mood for a "growing together" drama (and an adorable baby), with well-written dialogue and witty banter, then this is a good bet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment