Friday, January 30, 2015

Korean Food--Bibimbap

So let's pretend you're a kdrama character. Something has gone horribly wrong in your life, and all those looming catastrophes have finally come crashing down on your head. THE PLOT CONFLICT HURTS.

What do you do? If you were American, you might go for the tub of ice cream. But if you're a k-drama character you grab...

Bibimbap! Of course you do. 


Wait, and let's not forget one of my favorite scenes from Fated to Love You. This had me rolling. Pregnant chick sneaks into the kitchen to stuff her face, and then gets caught doing it. It didn't help that she hid under the table.

I've been curious about how this stuff tastes, because honestly, it looks amazing. It's all moist and chewy, and you can grab giant spoonfuls of it to drown your problems. So naturally, I asked my Korean friend San to help us make some, and he happily agreed that we should try it. The important thing you need--if you can find it--is the sauce that makes it that orange color. Go Ju Jang. I just happened to find it at a pricey market near my house, so we were good to go. Here's how it turned out before we mixed it all up:

Bean sprouts, mushrooms, cucumber, spinach, beef, and egg on rice

After we mixed it all up, it looked exactly like the bibimbap I saw in dramas. And man was it GOOD. Better than I imagined, actually. It's really fresh (depending on the ingredients of your choice of course. Bibimbap just means mixed rice, so if you throw goldfish and doritos in there it probably won't taste the same. Fair warning.), and the spicy go ju jang sauce gave it the perfect kick of heat. I will definitely be making this again very soon!!

Thank you San!!


I think the next food we need to try is that grilled meat that you see characters chowing down on when they're trying to get drunk.

If its good enough for adorable Mi Ho, I'm sure it's good enough for us right? ;)

If you have anything you would like to ask my friend while he's still here, please ask away! I know I've dropped him with tons of questions like, "Do you actually get naked with strangers in the bath houses?" and "On a scale of 1-Fires of Hell, how evil is your Omonii?" Kidding with that last one. His mom is adorable.

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment